A deck gate should be an important and well-thought-out part of your outdoor space. From safety to aesthetics, it’s clear why a deck gate is a good idea but it can be difficult to find good options and project inspo. Here’s what you need to know before making a purchase:
DECK GATE BENEFITS
- Important security feature of your outdoor space, a
- Necessary safety feature for young families looking to protect and keep an eye on their little ones
- Perfect for pet owners
DECK GATE DESIGN OPTIONS
When deciding to install a deck gate there are a lot of different design options you have to choose from! Here are a few popular go-to’s:
- Wood/Vinyl Slat Style Gate – with vertical or horizontal slats
- Wood/Vinyl Gate with Balusters – Provides a seamless look for those who have railing with balusters
- Aluminum Deck Gate
When it comes to selecting the option that works best for you, you’ll need to keep in mind your needs, the level of maintenance you want, and which deck gate will best accommodate that.
DECK GATES FOR PETS
Installing a deck gate to keep a better eye on your pets? Here are a few things to consider:
- Slat spacing (make sure the space between each slat is small enough that your pooch won’t be able to squeeze through). Proper slat spacing also helps your pet still see your yard and minimize frequent barking
- Gate height (make sure that the height of your gate is suitable for your space and tall enough that your pet won’t be able to jump over it)
- If you’re looking for more info on deck gates for your pets and different design options and installation tips, check out this article
PICKING YOUR DECK GATE HARDWARE
Picking deck gate hardware is an important part of your project. Once you have the hardware basics, really think about what’s important to you, what are your specific needs? If you’re a new family with toddlers crawling around, a gate with a latch that locks will be a hardware must-have. For kids and pets, a self-closing spring is also a great addition to your project.
That said, no matter what your specific needs are, you should remember that purchasing high-quality and durable gate hardware over the cheapest option improves the security of your new deck gate, prevents sagging and dragging and ensures your trips to the hardware store at the end of each season to replace worn hardware are over.
If you’re looking for long-lasting gate hardware options, click here to browse the Nuvo Iron line.
SPRUCING UP YOUR EXISTING DECK GATE
Refreshing your space with a deck gate doesn’t mean you have to purchase an entirely new deck gate. As long as your current one isn’t in too much of a state of disrepair, replacing hardware, power washing, staining or painting can all be great options for transforming the look of your deck and backyard.
Embark in a gate refresh or build? We would love to see your work. Tag us in your deck gate projects on Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok @NuvoIron